- This event has passed.
General Meeting March 2018
March 22, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Selecting and Installing Uninterruptible Power Supplies
March 22nd (Thursday) 5:30 pm General Meeting
Carriage House of the Clayton Library at 5300 Caroline St
The Houston Public Library does not sponsor or endorse this meeting. The library has a parking lot with free parking. See the map below. The meeting will be in the carriage house across the parking lot from the main library building.
Note that snacks and refreshments will be provided. Attendance at this event may be used for one hour PDH credit. Certificates will be provided.
Please plan to attend and try to bring an associate that might want to join the Network or anyone who might have an interest in our group.
IEEE Houston Consultant Network members, IEEE Members, interested parties, students and guests are all welcome! Please RSVP to
5:30 PM – Networking & Snacks
6:00 PM – Brief announcements and introduction of speaker
6:15 PM – Presentation followed by Q and A
7:15 PM – Adjourn and exit the building
7:30 PM – Staff closes the library
Michael (Mick) G. Bayer, BSEE
Senior Member of the IEEE
The presentation will explore the common types of UPS topologies and avoiding common pitfalls for selecting and installing them. The presentation is intended to be audience interactive and attendees should bring a calculator (or phone app), paper, pen/pencil, straight-edge edge and a clipboard or hard surface to write on for participation.
Michael G. Bayer has 40 years of experience as an electrical project engineer in the oil & gas, pipeline, chemical, and offshore industries. He has extensive experience in the conceptual design, front-end engineering and design (FEED), detailed design, and startup and commissioning for greenfield and brownfield projects, especially for electrical machinery, chemical processes, motor controllers, protection relays, and switchgear. Mr. Bayer has industry recognized expertise in wire and cable technology. Mr. Bayer earned his BS in Electrical Engineering from the Missouri University of Science and Technology (1978). He is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Senior voting member of the IEEE/PES Insulated Conductors Committee and a member of the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA). Recent publications for which Mr. Bayer played a significant role include
- IEEE Standard C57.139-2010, “IEEE Guide for Dissolved Gas Analysis in Transformer Load Tap Changers” (Developed the statistics spreadsheet)
- Vice Chairman, IEEE Standard 1143-2013, “Shielding of Low Voltage Cables”
- Vice Chairman, IEEE PES ICC A11W working group for Standard 1142, “IEEE Guide for the Selection, Testing, Application, and Installation of Cables having Radial-Moisture Barriers and/or Longitudinal Water Blocking”
- Vice Chairman, IEEE Standard 1810-2017, “Guide for the Installation of Fire-Rated Cables Suitable for Hydrocarbon Pool Fires for Critical and Emergency Shutdown Systems in Petroleum and Chemical Industries”
- Vice Chairman, IEEE PES ICC D22W working group for P2740, “IEEE Guide for the Selection and Installation of Flexible Electrical Cables and Systems in Hazardous (Classified) Locations on LandDrilling Rigs”